Friends  |  Press Room  |  Contact Us

The Gestapo Darmstadt was the Gestapo’s second largest main office in the Hesse-Nassau district, after that of Frankfurt/Main. It had subdivisions in many towns including Mainz, Worms, Giessen and Offenbach. This office planned, organized and executed the deportation of around 3,500 Jews to the Theresienstadt Ghetto and the extermination camps in the East. The deportees came from places all over the Hesse-Nassau district, except Frankfurt/Main, Wiesbaden and Kassel and were transported in three large transports and several small ones, mostly between the spring of 1942 and summer 1944. In March 1937 the office employed 98 persons. By August 1941 that number had increased to 146. Initially its offices were located in the local police headquarters at 21-23 Wilhelm-Glässing Straße. In 1940 the Gestapo moved to the “Neues Palais” at 1 Wilhelminenplatz, which was originally the city residence of the Hesse dynasty. The building was destroyed in an allied air raid during the night of December 11-12, 1944. From 1940 until late summer 1942 Dr. Humbert Achamer-Pifrader headed the Gestapo Darmstadt. Robert Mohr, whose term lasted from October 1942 until February 1944, succeeded him. Georg Dengler functioned as head of the Gestapo's Department for Jewish Affairs from 1943, before that Bruno Böhm held this position.

Stay Connected

Facebook   YouTube   Twitter   Blog