Friends  |  Press Room  |  Contact Us

This assembly camp opened its gates on October 13, 1941 prior to the first deportation of Jews from Prague on October 16, 1941. It was set up shortly after the arrival of acting Reich Protector Reinhard Heydrich in Prague on the Prague trade fair grounds (Pražské vzorkové veletrhy) located on Veletržní Street in the borough of Holešovice (Prague 7) near Stromovka Park. The camp is often mistakenly referred to as the Trade Fair Palace (Veletržní palác) which used to be next to the pavilions U1 and U5 where the deportees were housed. The German name Radiomarkt (In Czech: Radiotrh) was derived from the prevailing range of exhibits in the hall next to the Trade Fair Palace.

The premises included 15 decrepit, former exhibition halls and other smaller booths. By order of the Gestapo, some of them were modified and adapted for its future purpose between September 12 and 20, 1941. The Central Office for Jewish Emigration (Zentralstelle für jüdische Auswanderung in Prag) rented the pavilions to process the transports. The barbed-wire area was guarded by Czech Police. The Jews were met inside the camp by SS officials. Arranged according to their transport numbers, the Jews had to hand over their personal belongings including house keys, ration cards, identity cards and valuables such as fountain pens, watches, wedding rings and other items of jewelry. They were allowed to bring between 25 and 50 kg of luggage per person which was also searched and any other items of value found were also confiscated in the process.

The wooden barracks in which the deportees were housed were in dreadful condition. The deportees lay on straw mattresses or on the bare floorboards. They usually stayed there for three nights (some testimonies report shorter or longer terms) with insufficient sanitation, little food and water, and the provisions they had brought from home. The transports mostly took place before dawn. The Orpo (Ordungspolizei – regular uniformed police) marched the deportees in columns down to the train station of Holešovice (In German: Holleschowitz) which at the time was called Bubner-Bahnhof (Praha-Bubny), located half a kilometer from the Radiomarkt. The Radiomarkt assembly camp existed until March 16, 1945. A total of 69 transports carrying 45,408 Jews were processed there. 39,390 of these people ended up in Theresienstadt, the others in Łódź, Ujazdów, and Auschwitz.

Stay Connected

Facebook   YouTube   Twitter   Blog