Friends  |  Press Room  |  Contact Us

Oswald Poche (b. Jan. 28, 1908, in Brandenburg; d. Sept. 22, 1962, in Dannenberg), a government official at the rank of Oberregierungsrat and SS-Obersturmbannführer, commander of Gestapo Frankfurt am Main headquarters, and commander of Einsatzkommando 2 of Einsatzgruppe A.
In 1930, Poche joined the Nazi Party and the SS. From December 1939 to the spring of 1941, he served as a SIPO and SD inspector (IdS) at Gestapo Stettin and, in March 1941, was appointed commander of Gestapo Frankfurt am Main headquarters. He was noted for his susceptibility to the powerful influence of the Gauleiter (district leader on behalf of the Party) of Hessen-Nassau, Jakob Sprenger. Poche adopted Sprenger’s policy of making his district and its capital, Frankfurt am Main, "judenrein" (“Jew-free”) as quickly as possible. To implement this policy, he even disobeyed instructions from Berlin. Between October 10, 1941, and September 24, 1942, Poche organized and implemented ten large deportations in which some 10,000 Jews were sent to extermination camps and murder sites in the east. He was known for his extreme violent behaviour and for subjecting Jews to beatings. At the end of the large wave of transports, Poche, prodded by Sprenger, also began to request the deportation of Jews who had “special privileges and were protected from deportation. These were Jews who had non-Jewish spouses, war veterans, and those working in the war industry. In August 1943 Poche was sent to the east to join up with Einsatzgruppe A under the command of the regional SIPO and SD commander (BdS) in Riga. In September of that year he assumed command of Einsatzkommando 2 in Porchov, replacing Reinhard Breder (who succeded him as commander of Gestapo Frankfurt). In early 1944, Poche was seriously wounded in a Soviet partisan attack. On May 1, 1944, he was named SIPO commander (KdS) in Tromso, northern Norway, where he served almost until the end of the war. In April 1945, Poche was summoned to RSHA headquarters in Berlin. From there he managed to reach Hamburg in May and obtain bogus papers in the name of his brother-in-law Koch who had been declared missing. Poche lived under this alias with his family, staying with his parents in Salzwedel and working initially as a traveling salesman and later as a branch manager in the village of Wendland. Poche died on September 22, 1962 in a hospital in Dannenberg. Several days before his death, he divulged his true identity to the doctor who treated him. The prosecution in Frankfurt had been searching for him since May 1949. Even though they knew that his family had relocated to Salzwedel, that his wife’s movements could have been followed, and that there were reports about him being alive, it is not clear why he had not been apprehended.

Stay Connected

Facebook   YouTube   Twitter   Blog