In 1944 the Gestapo launched six "small" transports from Munich, consisting of 44 Jews altogether. Since the closure of the Milbertshofen assembly camp in August 1942, the number of Jews in Munich remained very low. In March 1943 the Berg am Laim camp was also closed. On May 1, 1943, only 314 persons were counted as Jews according to the Nuremberg laws. Among them 171 were “full Jews”. The majority of people in the last eleven transports from Munich to Theresienstadt were Jews from ‘mixed mar
riages’ who were scheduled for deportation because their non-Jewish partner had either died or divorced. In February 1943 the RSHA had sent out new deportation guidelines to the local State Police offices. From then on, working in forced labour did not protect anyone from deportation. However, Jewish partners in existing mixed marriages and “Geltungsjuden” (people of mixed ancestry) were still exempt. In May 1943 the guidelines for deportation intensified as Heinrich Himmler ordered that all Jews defined as such according to the Nuremberg laws and still living in Germany had to be deported. This transport arrived in Theresienstadt on January 20,1944. On board were seven elderly Jews (six women, one man) from Regensburg, a town about 120 kilometres north of Munich. It is not known if they were taken from Regensburg to Munich prior to their deportation. If they were deported from Regensburg to Theresienstadt, they would have travelled via Marktredwitz, Eger, Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad) and Usti nad Labem (Aussig) to their final destination at Theresienstadt, arriving a day later. This transport is one of a few transports in 1944 about which there is almost no information available besides the names and addresses of the deportees. As there was no assembly camp anymore, the deportees were taken from their apartments and brought to the police station where they were jailed for a few days prior to deportation. They were searched and their last valuables were confiscated. The deportees had to endure bureaucratic procedures and undergo the final stages of expropriation. Their declarations of property were collected and they were informed that because they were “enemies of the Reich” their assets had been seized. Guarded and accompanied by Gestapo members and members of the uniformed police, the deportees were ordered to board one second-class passenger car at the station. If it left from Munich central station the car was connected to a regular, scheduled passenger train that left Munich for Marktredwitz. The car was then attached to several other local passenger trains in succession and travelled via Moosach, Freising, Landshut, Regensburg, Schwandorf, Marktredwitz, Eger, Karlovy Vary (Karlsbad) and Usti nad Labem (Aussig) to Theresienstadt, where it finally arrived a day later. If it left from Munich Laim freight station, the car would have been shunted to Munich central station, from where the procedure would be as above. From June 1, 1943, onward, the trains went directly into the ghetto following the connecting railway line from Bauschowitz station to Theresienstadt that the prisoners had been forced to build. The transport was given the reference II/32 in the Theresienstadt ghetto listings where the Roman numeral II refers to Munich. In Theresienstadt many of the elderly Jewish deportees who had arrived on these transports died of hunger and disease during the following months. Others were later transferred to extermination camps in the East, where they were murdered.