Despite the German withdrawal on the Eastern front and the heavy aerial bombardment of German cities, the deportation of Jews from German cities did not stop. On December 18, 1943, a circular signed by Gestapo chief Heinrich Müller was sent out to all local Sipo (Security Police) headquarters. It permitted the deportation of Jews, whose marriage to non-Jews had terminated due to divorce or death of the non-Jewish spouse.
The transport left Dresden for Theresienstadt on 27 September 1944. It consisted of one Jew, 70-year old Martha Böhringer from Dresden. She was likely transported by regular train under guard.
The general guidelines prepared by the RSHA recommended that the local Gestapo notify those Jews selected for deportation in writing. The deportees were permitted to bring a sum of 50 Reichmarks, a suitcase, a full set of clothes, suitable shoes, bedding, tableware and food supplies for eight days. Additionally, those selected for deportation had to produce an inventory of all their properties. The deportees were normally detained in assembly sites for two days prior to deportation.
The Gauleiter of Saxony, Martin Mutschmann, was a key figure in the execution of this transport. Henry Schmidt, the head of the Dresden Department for Jewish Affairs in the RSHA, was responsible for organizing and carrying it out. Schmidt was also present in the assembly camps and even accompanied two or three transports to Theresienstadt.
The transport arrived at Theresienstadt on 27 September 1944. The transport was given the reference V/10 Ez 5, where the Roman numeral V refers to Dresden. Ez were the German initials given to special transports of individuals (Einzelreisende Sondertransport).
Alfred Gottwaldt, Diana Schulle, Die Judendeportationen aus dem Deutschen Reich 1941-1945 (Wiesbaden: Marix Verlag, 2005), p. 465
Norbert Haase et al., Ed., “Die Erinnerung hat ein Gesicht – Fotografien und Dokumente zur nationalsozialistischen Judenverfolgung in Dresden 1933-1945” (Leipzig: Stiftung Sächsische Gedenkstätten und Gustav Kiepenheuer Verlag GmbH, 1998), pp. 128-131, 181