In an official meeting on January 30, 1940, Reinhard Heydrich, head of the Reich Main Security Office (RSHA), declared that the Jews of the city of Stettin in Pomerania were to be evacuated from their homes for what he claimed were reasons pertaining to the war effort. What followed was a particularly brutal deportation of the majority of the remaining Jewish population of that area to ghettos in the Lublin district. Only a handful of Jews remained in the province thereafter.
In 1944, Germany was constantly losing ground on the eastern front while its population centers were subject to constant heavy aerial bombardments. In spite of this however, the deportation of Jews from German cities did not stop. On December 18, 1943, a circular signed by Gestapo chief Heinrich Müller was sent out to all Sipo (Security Police) local headquarters. It permitted the deportation of Jews whose marriage to non-Jews had terminated due to divorce or death of the non-Jewish spouse.
This transport departed from Stettin on January 25 or 26, 1944, and arrived in Theresienstadt on January 27, 1944. It consisted of nine deportees, all listed as residents of Stettin, Stralsund, Bahn and Posen. The deportees were probably arrested at their homes or ordered to report to the Gestapo headquarters in Stettin. They were registered and forced to sign a declaration, relinquishing their entire property to the State. Deportations to Theresienstadt usually took place using passenger cars that were attached to regular passenger trains. The train went to Theresienstadt via Posen or Brandenburg.
The train arrived at Theresienstadt on 27 January 1944. The transport was given the reference XIV/3 in the Theresienstadt ghetto listings where the Roman numeral XIV refers to all transports originating from the provinces of East Prussia and Pomerania.
Conditions in Theresienstadt were harsh. Two of the deportees who arrived on this transport died during the months following their arrival due to hunger and disease. The other seven deportees survived in Theresienstadt until the end of the war.