During the winter of 1944-1945, the Germans knew that they had essentially lost the war. This led them to empty the concentration camps in occupied Poland, and force-march their prisoners to Germany. In January 1945, the evacuation of Auschwitz, Blechhammer and Stutthof camps commenced with Gross-Rosen and other labor camps following suit in February. These evacuations were usually carried out by means of ‘Death Marches’ although on some occasions more organized transports were assembled.
This transport departed from the Ravensbrück concentration camp in February 1945, and arrived several days later in Theresienstadt. It consisted of five young women who had been inmates of the camp. The circumstances of this transport are unclear: the deportees were told they were being transferred to another camp by special order from the German Foreign Ministry.
Before leaving Ravensbrück, the deportees were given some of the belongings they had with them when they first arrived at the camp. From Ravensbrück to Theresienstadt, the deportees were escorted by two SS-guards, a man and a woman. They were first brought to Berlin on a regular passenger train. There, they were put on a military train going to the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.
According to witness Margrit Wrescher-Rustow, the journey took around 30 hours. Due to frequent bombardments and damage to the railway infrastructure, the deportees had to march long distances as part of the journey. The transport arrived at Theresienstadt in early February 1945. The deportees did not enter the ghetto upon arrival; they were incarcerated in a cellar for several weeks before being interrogated and then sent into the ghetto.
The prisoners were admitted into the ghetto took place on March 8, 1945 which erroneously marked on the deportation lists as the date of their arrival. The transport was given the reference XIV/5 in the Theresienstadt ghetto listings where the Roman numeral XIV refers to all transports originating from the provinces of East Prussia and Pomerania and also from the Frankfurt an der Oder district where the Ravensbrück camp was located.
The Theresienstadt ghetto was liberated two months later on May 8, 1945. According to the Theresienstadt ghetto listings, all five deportees survived the war.