Despite the German withdrawal on the Eastern front and the heavy aerial bombardment of German cities, the deportation of Jews from German cities did not stop. On December 18, 1943, a circular signed by Gestapo chief Heinrich Müller was sent out to all local Security Police headquarters. It permitted the deportation of Jews, whose marriage to non-Jews had terminated due to divorce or death of the non-Jewish spouse.
The transport left Leipzig for Theresienstadt on May 14 or 15, 1944. It consisted of two Jews, Paula Lehner and Elisabeth Grienwaldt. The transport was likely conducted by regular train under guard.
The head of the Leipzig Gestapo at that time, Karl Fistler, played a key role in organizing the transports together with the Department of Jewish Affairs in the RSHA.
The general guidelines prepared by the RSHA recommended that the local Gestapo notify in writing those Jews selected for deportation. The deportees were permitted to bring a sum of 50 Reichmarks, a suitcase, a full set of clothes, suitable shoes, bedding, tableware and food supplies for eight days. Additionally, those selected for deportation had to produce an inventory of all their properties. The deportees were normally kept in the assembly sites for two days prior to deportation.
The transport arrived at Theresienstadt on May 15, 1944. The transport was given the reference XVI/4 Ez 3, where the Roman numeral XVI refers to Leipzig. Ez were the German initials given to special transports of individuals (Einzelreisende Sondertransport).