Nazi Germany’s state worsened by Allied forces landing at Normandy on June 6, 1944, However, Nazi authorities persisted in their efforts to deport the remaining Jews from German cities.
The transport left Leipzig for Theresienstadt on June 12 or 13, 1944. It consisted of three Jews: Erna Tittel, Eugen Guetermann and Else Lueneberg. The transport was likely conducted by regular train under guard.
The head of the Leipzig Gestapo at that time, Karl Fistler, played a key role in organizing the transports together with the Department of Jewish Affairs in the RSHA.
The general guidelines prepared by the RSHA recommended that the local Gestapo notify in writing those Jews selected for deportation. The deportees were permitted to bring a sum of 50 Reichmarks, a suitcase, a full set of clothes, suitable shoes, bedding, tableware and food supplies for eight days. Additionally, those selected for deportation had to produce an inventory of all their properties. The deportees were normally kept in the assembly sites for two days prior to deportation.
The transport arrived at Theresienstadt on June 13, 1944. The transport was given the reference XVI/4 Ez 4, where the Roman numeral XVI refers to Leipzig. Ez were the German initials given to special transports of individuals (Einzelreisende Sondertransport).