This transport was the 29th to leave Berlin for the ghettos and killing sites in Eastern Europe and was thus designated “Osttransport 29”. It departed from the city’s Putlitzstrasse Station in the Moabit district on February 19, 1943 and arrived in Auschwitz one day later.
There were 997 Jews on this transport including 21 Jews from Hamburg who had been brought to Berlin on February 12. In addition there were eight German Jews who had previously emigrated to Finland, but had been expelled and returned to Germany via Estonia.
The department for Jewish Affairs at the Berlin Gestapo, headed by Walter Stock and his deputy Max Stark, was in charge of organising this transport together with the Department of Jewish Affairs at the RSHA.
The deportees were interned in the assembly camp on Grosse Hamburger Strasse, from where they were brought to the train station on Putlitzstrasse. The transport was conducted by a train consisting of cattle cars that were locked from the outside. A guard unit, usually composed of two SS men, was usually posted in the control compartment. The train usually went to Auschwitz via Breslau (Wroclaw) and Kattowitz (Katowice), but the constant strain put on the German railway system might have caused individual transports to take other routes.
Historian Danuta Czech notes in the Auschwitz Chronicles that a transport organized by the RSHA arrived in Auschwitz on February 20. It consisted of 1,000 Jewish men, women and children originating from Berlin. Upon arrival outside the Auschwitz camp complex, the deportees were subject to a selection process carried out by the SS. 140 men, given Nos. 103798-103937, and 85 women, given Nos. 36109-36193 were sent to forced labour under harsh conditions which they rarely survived. The remaining 775 deportees were sent directly to the gas chambers and murdered.
According to historian Rita Meyhoefer six of the deportees are known to have survived.