Nazi Germany’s state worsened by Allied forces landing at Normandy on June 6, 1944, and the destruction of Army Group Center by the Red Army over the course of the summer. However, Nazi authorities persisted in their efforts to deport the remaining Jews from German cities.
Transport 48c left Vienna’s Nordbahnhof on June 28, 1944, and arrived in Theresienstadt at June 29. It consisted of 17 Jews. The average age of the deportees was 53; eight of them were over 61.
Due to the small number of deportees, the security police (Sipo) in Vienna (Wien) ordered a single rail car, which was attached to passenger train No. 723 that left daily at 6 PM from Nordbahnhof and travelled via Breclav (Lundenburg) to Brno (Brünn). In Brno, the car was disengaged and reattached to a train of the "Protektoratsbahnen" (the company that operated trains in the so called "Protektorat") destined for Prague (Praha). From there, the journey continued to Theresienstadt.
The transport was listed in the ghetto records as IV/15c. The Roman numeral IV represented Vienna as city of origin.