Following the occupation of Czechoslovakia by Nazi Germany in March 1939, and the declaration of a Slovak republic on March 14, Hitler announced on March 15 the establishment of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. Between 1939 and 1941 the Nazi authorities in the Protectorate carried out various anti-Jewish measures, which included the harassment of Jews and of Jewish institutions and the confiscation of property.
On October 10, 1941, the newly appointed Reichsprotektor, Reinhard Heydrich, summoned several SS officers, among them Adolf Eichmann, to a meeting in Prague (Praha). Heydrich, who was also chief of the Reich Main Security Office (Reichssicherheitshauptamt - RSHA), revealed a plan to deport 5,000 Jews from the Protectorate to Eastern Europe and in addition to expel the remaining Jews of the Protectorate to an assembly camp in Bohemia. Theresienstadt, a garrison town built in the 18th century, located about 60 kilometers north of Prague, was chosen to serve as the place for concentrating the Jews of Bohemia and Moravia. Mass deportations of Jews from Prague and soon afterwards from other large cities began in late November 1941. In the provincial areas the registration of Jews began in January 1942.
On February 19, 1942, a month after the Wannsee conference, Adolf Eichmann summoned representatives of the Jewish religious congregation of Prague (along with those of Vienna and Berlin) to brief them on the forthcoming mass deportations from the “Greater Reich” to the East or to Theresienstadt.
Before the deportations of the Jews from the provinces began on March 27 1942, all Jewish religious congregations in the provinces were dissolved.
Transport Av Left Trebic for the Theresienstadt Ghetto on May 18, 1942. It consisted of 720 Jews who were residents of Trebic and of neighboring towns and villages including Polna, Velke Mezirici (Groß Meseritsch), Zdar nad Sazavou (Saar), Dacice (Datschitz), Jihlava (Iglau), Trest (Triesch) and Telc (Teltsch).
Prior to the train’s departure, several staff members of the Jewish community’s Ttransports Department in Prague came to Trebic to carry out the administrative measures ordered by the Central Office for Jewish Immigration. They prepared a list of deportees, registered Jewish property, issued notices regarding the date of deportation and assisted in packing and carrying luggage.
The Jews were transferred to the train station and put on a train. After their arrival in Bohusovice, the deportees had to disembark and were forced to march the remaining 3 km to Theresienstadt.
The following report was written by an SD official regarding the deportation of Jews from Zdar:
"The expulsion of the Jews from the area of Jihlava, carried out in the last few days, was a meaningful event for many Czechs. Often, the Czechs expressed pity towards the “poor Jews”. Jerabek, a Czech horse trader from Zdar, drove many Jews in his wagon to the train station so they wouldn’t have to walk."