Nazi Germany’s state worsened by Allied forces landing at Normandy on June 6, 1944, and the destruction of Army Group Center by the Red Army over the course of the summer. However, Nazi authorities persisted in their efforts to deport the remaining Jews from German cities.
The transport left Vienna’s Nordbahnhof (Northern Railway Station) on August 21,1944, and arrived in Auschwitz-Birkenau. Historian Danuta Czech notes in the Auschwitz Chronicle that on August 22,1944, two Jews who had arrested by the Gestapo in Vienna arrived in Auschwitz and were given the Nos. A-24979 and A-24980.